GRNSW CEO UPDATE - 04/04/2020
With the constantly developing issues surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, Greyhound Racing NSW believes it is crucial to keep all participants up to date on all news involving the industry.
As such, we are encouraging all participants with questions pertaining to the COVID-19 situation, to email us here at GRNSW.
Each day I will do my best to answer questions from participants and publish them across our website and social media platforms.
If you have any questions, please email them to the following address: email@example.com
Any important developments will also be published in media releases across our GRNSW network as required.
Here’s what our teams at GRNSW are being asked right now, with the responding answers (and please keep in mind that this is both an unprecedented and fast-moving situation).
1. Q: Can you put a meeting on that grades bottom up from points as I believe this would give the battler a chance at getting some prizemoney as I’m sure they would be the ones that need it more in this present time?
A: Bottom up meetings will be introduced very soon.
2. Q: I understand the zoning concept perfectly, although would there be any leeway in letting us race in another zone, say Goulburn which is out of my zone, even though I race there on a regular basis. At the moment my 2 tracks are Bathurst and Dubbo, I have here 4 or 5, one turn dogs who just don’t go on a circle. Is there any way for an exemption to race these certain dogs?
A: No, I am sorry but we just have to deal with what we have at present. The restrictions were put in place to limit the travel of participants in line with government and health authority regulations. I understand that this does not suit everyone, but we must stick to the regions and comply with the restrictions, or we will not be able to race. There cannot be exemptions.
3. Q: Like law enforcement everywhere, the stewards often get a spray from participants just for doing their job, but I want to say they have been doing a fantastic job at the tracks. They are making sure we are all doing the right thing in terms of social distancing, getting their message across without being over zealous about it. I know it’s their job and they get paid to do it, but as you have said all along we are all in this together, and we should be thankful for everyone who is working to keep us racing.
A: : I totally agree with your praise and echo the sentiments. To everyone out there who is working to keep our industry going, we thank you. The stewards are working with participants to comply with the restrictions we have put in place, and in doing so, are getting responsible buy in from participants. The On Track Veterinarians are also doing a great job at the tracks. The strict procedures need to be followed by everyone if we are to continue. You can find those procedures here.
4. Q: As 5th Grade dogs are nearly 70% of the racing in the Hunter Area and now the Maitland track is racing giving us four meetings a week, is there any thought of running a 5th grade and Maiden meeting once a week at The Gardens?
A: Our racing and grading teams are doing a great job under difficult circumstances and they are constantly looking at the make-up of race meetings. We are trying to cater for as many participants as possible and ask only for patience.
5: I've purchased pups in Victoria, will I be able to bring them home in approximately 10-12 weeks. I really need to know if I'm going to be able to or have I wasted my money?
A: Much will obviously depend on the situation in 10-12 weeks, but the NSW/Victoria border is not closed at present.
6. Q: I have been to your GAP facility at Wyee in the past looking for my ideal mate and unfortunately haven’t found him or her just yet. With these uncertain, and lonely times for some of us, I am very keen to find four-legged friend sooner rather than later. I assume I can’t go to the GAP facility like I have in the past. What can I do?
A: Our Greyhounds As Pets facilities are still operating, but no you can’t visit like you have previously. You can however find a greyhound to join your family. If you head to the their website, www.gapnsw.com.au you will find all the information you need. You can fill out the online application form on the website and a member of our team will be in contact with you.
For everyone racing today and tonight, good luck and please follow all procedures and protocols at the racetrack, and stay safe.
I hope everyone continues to have a good week, safe weekend, and don’t forget that anyone who may be struggling at the moment and wanting somebody to talk to, you can do something about that. If you do feel the need to talk to someone about your situation, please do not hesitate to call. You can speak with a qualified counsellor at any time by calling 1300 687 327.
Keep your questions coming, and everyone please keep yourselves and your families safe, and importantly be vigilant in these difficult times.