Tamworth Track closure to continue pending remediation works
In November 2018, racing and trialling activity at the Tamworth track was suspended pending the completion of an independent assessment of track safety. The closure followed interim remediation works completed at the track earlier in November.
The assessment has now been completed, with an independent expert panel recommending continued suspension of racing and trialling at Tamworth track pending further remediation works. The recommended scope of works includes:
- infrastructure renovations to the catching pen (including fencing realignment, installation of padding, and the introduction of a slight uphill grade in the sand);
- track surface renovations (including renovations to the bend camber and transitions into and out of the bend);
- installation of impact attenuating padding;
- implementation of field size restrictions to a maximum of six dog races and trials; and
- restrictions on greyhounds permitted to race at the track, namely greyhounds that have previously trialled and/or raced at the track.
GRNSW is currently considering the recommendations with a view to undertaking necessary remedial action required to improve greyhound welfare and safety.
The suspension of racing and trialling activity at the Tamworth track will remain in force until the necessary remedial work has been completed. GRNSW regrets any inconvenience caused to participants as a result of the continued track closure, but greyhound welfare and safety remains GRNSW’s key priority.
GRNSW will provide a further update as soon as new information becomes available.